Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Coastal Comfort

Even though Del makes all of the food around here, I sometimes flip through his cookbooks and foodie magazines. A few years ago, I came across this Philadelphia Clam Pie Recipe in Gourmet. It sounded so good that I asked Del to run out and get some clams so he could make this dish as a pre-New Years Eve treat. Did I ever mention that I have the most wonderful husband on earth :) ? Anyway, we had a friend in town (who happened to be having a birthday), and we invited him over to join us. The weather was cold and snowy, but the delicious clam pie warmed our hearts and filled our bellies. This year, that same friend was here, and he requested this comfort food for his birthday meal.

Del makes the clam pie according to the recipe with a couple of modifications. Rather than shucking the clams, he steams them until they open. Then instead of using clam juice, he just sautes veggies in the steaming broth. He also uses a basic shortcrust rather than puff pastry.

Photobucket

Last night, the "sous chef" helped make the crust for the first time.


Photobucket

The filling went into the bowls with bottom crusts...


Photobucket

which were covered with the top crust.

Photobucket

The end result is sooooooo delectable. If you love clams, and you love pot pie, try this recipe!

Photobucket

On the subject of comfort, here is the runner that I made for my mom's Christmas gift. She specifically requested it for her guest bedroom. She'd seen one at a hotel in Florida, and loved the look, but couldn't found one to match the blues in the room. I had so much fun with the embroidery! The beautiful floral motifs are from Designs by Juju's Jacobean 2 and Jacobean 4 SWAK packs. The runner adds so much to the bed (which I get to sleep in when we visit :) ).

10 comments:

Celia said...

Your bed cover is amazing and the recipe I'll give it a try!
It's fun to see your kid all flour white!
lol...

Unknown said...

Oh, I just have to try that recipe! Love finding new things to try! And the bed runner is fantastic! Great Job! You have inspired me once again to get busy on the spring quilt for my room!
Cheers for a Happy New Year!

Cathy said...

Wow...what a production with the yummy pie! What fun (if you like cooking which I hate...hahaha)

And that runner is just gorgeous! I am making a quilt too! And the embroidery part really slows you down but its fun to do it whilst relaxing in front of the tv.......which is when???

Courtney said...

Yum!!!

What a great job on the runner! Very elegant!

Teresa Pomerantz said...

I love that you are keeping up your blog- I am crafting tonight- all by mylonesome :) Ori is keeping the kiddos for me. I will make a new post to my blog when I finish.

The Fairy Godmothers said...

Carla - I love the runner! It is beautiful. Louie looks like quite the helper in the kitchen!

Anonymous said...

That is such a pretty runner, I love it!

Kris said...

Carla, that turned out gorgeous! You've got to send a picture into "I Made This" because I know it would be very inspiring. I just love the blues you used!

Anonymous said...

That runner is stunning Carla!! I love those blues! And what a beautiful way to use those Jacobean designs, too.

I love lil' Louie's picture!!

SNubile said...

The runner looks great but that pie looks amazing.