Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Purse in the works!

Thanks so much for all the well-wishes with regards to our upcoming move! So far we've had a handful of showings and looked at a few houses in PA, but nothing has clicked yet. I really hope we sell/buy soon so Del doesn't have to make the commute in the winter. Plus, it is just hard being in limbo (not to mention it stinks having to keep the house clean all of the time).

In the meantime, I am back on the job, full steam ahead. Jennifer dreamed up a gorgeous purse, and I am in the process of putting it in pattern form.

Photobucket

Here is the prototype, based on her original design. This has been my out-and-about purse for the last month or so, and I have gotten so many compliments! Even though I'm usually wearing jeans or leggings, this purse makes me feel dressed up and girlie. All I need is this purse and a little lipstick, and I am ready to head out the door!


Photobucket

Of course, we couldn't just have one size or finishing option (this is a Sis Boom/Scientific Seamstress pattern after all), so we came up with some variations. To get some idea of the scale, I photoed the different version on my dress form, Bessie (who actually stays clothed these days since we have strangers going in and out of the house).


Photobucket

This is the "mini" version. It would be perfect for a little girl, or even as a big girl's evening bag. On this one, I finished the ruffles with narrow, double-folded hems.


Photobucket

Here is the original again. The ruffles are finished with a quick rolled hem from the serger. I really love the mustard/turquoise combo. Surprisingly, it matches pretty much everything I wear! I trimmed it with a bit of vintage lace. It really "pops" on the top band. You could substitute gorgeous ribbon, rick-rack, etc.


Photobucket

And now for my dream tote! I picked some of my fave fabrics from Jen's lines and mixed and matched for this one. The top band is denim embellished with decorator's gimp, and it is just begging for a vintage rhinestone brooch (note to self...go antiquing once we move to the country). The ruffles are actually folded strips, so no edge finishing necessary. It takes a little more fabric this way, but it is quick and so crisp-looking.

The pattern is just about ready for my awesome team of testers! I'm debating pocket options, and also writing up some instructions for the folks that use (and love) ruffler attachments on their machines. I'll keep you posted!



10 comments:

Sew Pretty Dresses said...

They are all just so cute! What a darling bag design!

Chelley said...

Cute bag! I can't wait to hear what you have to say about the ruffler attachments. I have one, but don't love it. Yet.

Cathy said...

OH Carla...I've been waiting for this all fall! So excited to make one of these!!!

The Momtastic Stitcher said...

Don't worry you all will find the house that speaks to you!! Those bags are great, I LOVE my ruffler attachment it makes the coolest noise while it is working and I get all sorts of sweatshop comments from the peanut gallery that is my family lol....can't wait to see what your testers come up with!

TheGigglingE said...

GL on the house hunt! The bag design is adorable, love it!

Kelly said...

Love it! It remindes me of a Vera bag I saw and loved recently! If you need another tester I would really love to help!

Garilyn S said...

Love the bag! Can't wait!!

Andi said...

I LOVE the mini version! Can't wait for this one to come out. Great work, as always.

Mama Lusco said...

I like the bag! It's very similar to one I made a tutorial for last year here:
http://mamalusco.blogspot.com/2010/03/mamas-ruffle-shoulder-bag.html

A girl can't go wrong with ruffles :)

sweetjeanette said...

Im just finding your blog - a friend suggested I check you out because I just ordered a ruffler! LOL
Love that bag, and sinced the post was dated 10/27, I'm wondering if the pattern is out yet??? Hmmmm? LOL