Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Adding Cargo Pockets to the Easy Fits


Today we have a guest poster!!! Jess is here to share her amazing tutorial for adding cargo pockets to the Easy Fits pattern

Also until May 2nd, 2014, you can get the Easy fits in the BUNDLE UP pattern bundle! (Click the link to get the bundle details)

If you are loving the tutorial feel welcome to leave a comment or pin or share or all the above :)


Hello all! I am Jess and I blog at Gracious ThreadsGracious Threads began as a place for me to share all the sewing I do for my family and myself. It soon grew, as other sewists share my love for simple, practical clothing for kids. 

Over time, I began to add tutorials and a few free patterns. Recently, I am slowly releasing my own Gracious Threads sewing patterns

I'm thrilled to be here today to share with you an easy way to jazz up your Easy Fit pants. Easy Fits were one of my first pdf patterns and they have been in heavy use for the past several years. Today my youngest got his first pair.



My kids love pockets, especially to carry in things that should probably be left outside! While my little guy is a bit young to be collecting leaves, rocks, and bugs, I thought his pants could use a set too.


To draft the pocket:


To draft the flap: 





Cut 2 pocket pieces and 4 flap pieces

Now you are ready to start sewing! 

Finish all 4 edges of the pocket piece with a serger or a zigzag stitch.





Fold under the top by 1" and press. Hem close to edge.Fold under the remaining 3 sides by 1/2" and press. 





Center pocket on leg piece and pin. Stitch in place, being sure to backstitch well at the top corners.
























To make the flaps, sew two, right sides together, along one long edge and two short edges.










Clip corners, turn, and press.











Butt raw edge of flap against top of pocket piece. Stitch 1/2" away from raw edge. Trim seam to 1/4".



Flip pocket flap down and topstitch 1/2" away from the top edge. This will enclose the raw edge of the flap.




Congrats; you are done! You can also choose to add a closure to the pocket, such as a button and buttonhole, velcro, or a snap. Now you are ready to sew up your pants as usual.







Thank you, Scientific Seamstress, for having me over to visit! 



Thanks so much for stopping by Jess and for the great tutorial! 

As always feel welcome to join us in the Lab over on Facebook




No comments: